Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

But I tell you, Elijah has come, and they have done to him everything they wished, just as it is written about him.

Mark 9:13, NIV

When I read this verse, I thought what an odd verse it is. I had to go back and look at the context to get the meaning. Jesus and some of the disciples are coming down from the mountain after the transfiguration, and he told them not to tell anyone until he has risen from the dead.

My question was, what did it mean that Elijah had come? So I looked at a few different versions, and found a pretty clear explanation in The Message: “Jesus replied, ‘Elijah does come first, and get everything ready for the coming of the Son of Humanity. They treated this Elijah like dirt, much like they will treat the Son of Humanity, who will, according to Scripture, suffer terribly and be kicked around contemptibly.’” Mark 9:12-13

Oh! It seems that this may be our calling right now. In this very difficult time, a double pandemic, COVID and violence, as I have heard it called. Jesus still calls us to be faithful and live out justice. It seems particularly difficult in this time of much chaos

But if we ask what would Jesus be doing, He would be working for justice, walking with the marchers, crying out against violence, as He did when He was living on the earth. I am reminded of this hymn:

Jesus calls us o’er the tumult of our life’s wild restless sea; day by day His voice still calls us, saying, “Christian, follow me.”

 Dear Jesus, may we continue to walk with you each day and work for justice for all. Amen.

The Rev. Sandra Brown is Pastor at Peace Lutheran Church, Bensalem, PA


No comments:

Post a Comment