Monday, November 28, 2022

Monday, November 28, 2022

Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

As I read Matthew 11:28 I couldn’t help thinking about my last two years as church council president at Friedens Church, Shartlesville.

First off, with COVID in full swing, council decided no more in-house services. We went to ZOOM and Facebook. Contributions kept coming in but at a slower pace.

Then, our oil delivery company let us run out of fuel oil on a cold, Sunday morning. We took care of that. Then in spring we had two new fuel tanks installed with a reader gauge. The same summer, our central air-conditioning units quit. While council helped make the decisions, as council president, I felt there was a lot to carry on my shoulders.

Things were starting to go along well when our pastor called and wanted to talk to me and our council VP. When we met, our pastor said she was just diagnosed with cancer. She needed further testing and would keep us informed. Pastor helped us schedule supply pastors when she could. And then chemo started. COVID was still going strong. These were trying times but we kept going forward.

Finally, COVID was lessening and we opened church with masks. We continued virtual broadcasts along with continued prayers for our pastor.

Often, I wonder what is next, how much can we take, why are we getting tested like this?

As I reflect at all the things going on in this world, there are others that have a much heavier burden on their shoulders than I do. And I am now happy to report that our pastor rang the bell to indicate her final chemo treatment.

Lifter of all burdens, please be with church leaders, those facing difficult diagnoses, and all who carry so much on their shoulders. Amen.

Randy Haag is long-time member and council president of Friedens Church, Shartlesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment