Sunday, November 27, 2022

Sunday, November 27, 2022

He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact imprint of God’s very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. Hebrews 1:3a

The Letter to the Hebrews begins with a declaration that Jesus is the “reflection of God’s glory” and “the exact imprint of God’s very being.”

People who knew my mother say I look just like her. Indeed, when I sawmy cousin, I thought I was seeing my uncle. We ARE a reflection of our ancestors. When the announcement is made, “today’s reading is from the letters to the Hebrews”, my mind goes to “by faith.” This phrase is used many times in Chapter 11 and goes through a genealogy of Biblical characters.

By faith, my ancestors left their homes to go to a new place. By faith, my ancestors took a boat ride across the Atlantic Ocean, a ride that many did not survive. By faith, my ancestors settled on property in Penn’s woods. By faith, my ancestors organized Lutheran congregations in their neighborhood. By faith, my life path has taken me to being a professional educator in the Church.

Am I also a “reflection of God’s glory” and “the exact imprint of God’s very being”? Whoa, that is scary and carries a lot of responsibility - to pass on the love God has for all of us. Because of Jesus and the words he spoke of God’s loving grace, I am sustained by faith as my ancestors were throughout their lives. May you too be a reflection of God’s love this day.

Loving Savior, thank you for sustaining my daily life through your word and deed of sacrifice pointing me to God’s gracious love. Amen.

Deacon Marlane Druckenmiller is retired after 46 years serving 7 congregations in Northeastern PA as Director of Christian Education, working with children, youth, volunteers, women’s groups and leader in all aspects of congregational life.

No comments:

Post a Comment