Friday, December 4, 2015

Friday, December 4, 2015

And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you. And may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints. I Thessalonians 3:12-13

I must admit. I’ve never been drawn to science. Give me a book of history or literature over biology any day. And so it is with some surprise that, as a pastor, I find myself functioning as a “physician of souls.” Don’t worry, it involves no surgery or anesthesiology!

However, it does mean that I spend less time proclaiming “rights and wrongs” and more time administering the healing Gospel of Christ’s love to people who are worn down by life and who question their value and worth. A person who thinks he or she is unlovable generally struggles to love others.

I think that was one of the challenges Paul was addressing in his letter to the Thessalonians. If they thought themselves unlovable, they would struggle to love others. Accordingly, even as Paul affirmed his love for that community, he prayed that the Lord would increase the Thessalonians’ love for one another. It is a blessing that when we feel powerless to love or be loved, our perfect Savior fills and heals our imperfect hearts. That’s medicine for the soul!

Wherever you are in this journey of life, whatever missteps you have taken, and whatever challenges you face, know that you are beloved by Jesus Christ. May he heal you with his perfect, abundant love and thereby enable you to increase and abound in love for your neighbor.

Healing God, speak your healing word to my heart. Affirm your gracious love for me, so that I can pass that love along to my neighbor. Amen.


Rev. Scott Schul is Pastor for Education and Outreach at Grace Lutheran Church in State College. He leads chapel services at the Village at Penn State and his wife Linda works there as a Certified Nursing Assistant.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment