Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Then there appeared to him an angel of the Lord, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was terrified; and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel said to him, ‘Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will name him John. You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.
Luke 1:11-15a

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.” (Matthew 5:14) One of my favorite authors always signed his books with this: “Love and Light!” followed by his name. I have adopted that as the way I sign my name to most cards, letters and yes, even my book! Matthew 5:14 begins with this truth: “You are the light of the world.”

In my role as a bereavement counselor, I have taken this verse to heart. I believe fervently that my purpose as a counselor is to “be a light” for these beautiful people in their time of darkness. I know that the light of Christ is the shining light of peace and love. My job is to help these grieving souls to find that light in their lives again. Sometimes my work with them is in one of our “Journey of Grief” groups…and many times, in an individual session. But no matter what setting I find myself in with grieving people, I am always in awe of the way God has brought us together to listen, love and begin healing. As the weeks go by in their journeys through grief, I get to observe people who were in such darkness emerge into this beautiful light of reconciliation!

Let us, like Zechariah, Elizabeth and John, rejoice in the hope brought by God through the Light God has brought into this world.

Good and gracious God, thank you for calling us to be witnesses of all you do, and to be a beacon of hope and light in the darkness of grief. Amen.

Sylvia Havlish is Coordinator of Bereavement Ministries for Lutheran Congregational Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment