Friday, December 11, 2020

Friday, December 11, 2020

 Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own, but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.

Philippians 3:13

I’ve always been a believer in learning from the past. Our successes and our failures inform us about how to move forward. During the past year, I have read about the 1918 influenza and the AIDs epidemic to help me understand COVID-19. I have studied slavery, reconstruction and the Civil Rights Movement of the 50’s and 60’s to inform me about our nation’s legacy and struggle with racism. So my first reaction to Paul writing that he is “forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead” made me stop and say “hmmm.”

Paul admits that he doesn’t have it all together yet. That’s a relief because I don’t either. But in spite of that, Paul is pressing forward toward the prize for which God has called him. He is not resting on his successes or ruminating over his mistakes. Perhaps Paul is not so much ignoring the lessons of the past as he is letting it go so it won’t hamper his path forward. 

2020 has been a difficult year and this will not be an easy winter. COVID is still with us. Social justice issues need to be addressed. Natural disasters will happen. There will be challenges for our residents, clients and staff at Liberty Lutheran. So far in 2020, we have seen significant successes and some heart-breaking losses. But God has been with us and now, like Paul, we must let go of the past and press on, fixing our attention on our mission to serve our clients and care for our staff. We are freed to renew our strength and focus on our goals, to look forward and get on with it, always “straining” to “win the prize” for which God has called us. 

Please, God, renew our energy and resolve so that we can move forward in joy and confidence with the tasks You have called us to perform. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen. 

Linda Breckenridge is a retired educator, member of Upper Dublin Lutheran Church in Ambler, and member of the Liberty Lutheran Board of Directors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment