Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thursday, December 10, 2020

 For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God based on faith.

Philippians 3: 8-9

Paul wrote this letter to the Philippians when he was in prison. How liberating for him, to not be attached to anything the world calls worthy. Paul regards all things apart from Christ as garbage. This year has been one of reckoning with our attachments. What risks do we take in the midst of a pandemic because we want or miss something? What things and experiences are we so attached to that we are willing to risk our own or someone else’s health for?

A changing climate might also challenge our attachments. For me, I know I am attached to the freedom to drive my car wherever I need to whenever I want to. Is that independence something I am too attached to?

What do we need to regard as rubbish for the sake of future generations, for the sake of those who are oppressed in the US and around the world? What is reasonable? Is it reasonable to trash our health care, or retirement plans, our reputation, in order to walk humbly and in lock step with brothers and sisters in order that they can experience good schools, safety in their own communities, and the security of housing and food? Certainly there is a balance and need to take care of ourselves and our families, and value in building our own resiliency, but our own self-care, safety and security cannot be at the expense of others’ self-care, safety and security. 

What do we need to regard as rubbish to share Paul’s joy of liberation in Christ, and to share in the oneness of all creation? 

Just God, help us long for the taste of the liberating power of the resurrected Christ. Amen. 

Julia Menzo is Director of Community Outreach, Liberty Lutheran/Lutheran Congregational Services. She leads Lutheran Disaster Response efforts in eastern PA and worships at Trinity Lutheran in Lansdale, PA.    

No comments:

Post a Comment