Monday, December 14, 2020

Monday, December 14, 2020

 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Ephesians 6:13 (NKJV)

Why do people hate us?

How do you respond when asked that by a child? As a Black American, I have asked my mother that question. I vividly recall how my mother grappled to keep her composure trying to explain how some people do not know God and therefore do not believe that they should love their neighbor. I can still remember how sad I felt learning that some people could actually hate someone with no true cause. My mother further explained that God loves us all and keeps a hedge of protection around us. She reminded me of the lyrics of “Jesus Loves Me” and assured me.

The truth is we are a fallen world. Paul’s scripture focuses on a spiritual warfare with enemies who take many forms, principalities, powers, rulers of darkness, yet it also describes that hedge of protection my mother explained. The Bible offers many references to “letting go and letting God” (Exodus 14:14; 1 Peter 5:7; Proverbs 6:3) and that can only be done when you trust and obey Him realizing that you are cloaked in God’s armor. 

When you take up the whole armor of God, you find yourself collected when everyone around you is unnerved by a pandemic. This does not mean to say that you are not impacted by the world’s events. The message is that you are confident that God is in control and that nothing goes on that is outside of His divine order. 

In my lifetime, I’ve experienced and seen too many social inequities. Because God fulfills His promises, I can follow His command to trust and obey. He will do the rest because when you truly understand that you are protected by the whole (not partial) armor of God, you can stand firm. 

Dear God it is a privilege to be a child of the Most High God. I pray for your perfect peace and divine presence in all of our lives in the mighty name of Jesus. Amen.

Charmaine R. Maddrey-Smith is Director of Employee Engagement Training at Liberty Lutheran. She attends Calvary Chapel and St. Paul’s Baptist Church, Philadelphia.   

No comments:

Post a Comment