Thursday, December 17, 2020

Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Hebrews 1:3

When I started to read the book of Hebrews, I learned that the theme of this book is the absolute supremacy and sufficiency of Jesus Christ as revealer and as mediator of God’s grace. Throughout these verses is the inspiration to keep going in the faith. In my work as a bereavement counselor, I look back at all the times I have tried to help grieving people to “keep going on in the faith.” And then it was my turn to be the “grieving widow.”

I lost my husband of almost 50 years in July. When I was able to pray during this time of loneliness, emptiness and pain, I found myself crying out to Jesus to help me… to rescue me from this darkness. Thoughts would enter my being as I cried and prayed. My thoughts went to the many sad, devastated people who asked me if I was sure that their prayers were heard; they wondered during these difficult times, ”Where is Jesus now?”

Voltaire said, “Faith consists of believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe!” This is the time in one’s life when the words from Hebrews resound. “The Son sustains all things through his powerful word.” It is when the realization sinks in to our grieving hearts that he ‘sits at the right hand of God’ and will hear our prayers and bless us with his comfort and grace.

Good and Gracious God, I pray that you will grant us renewed strength as we face the challenges of loss in our lives. Grant us renewed hope and comfort along the way. Amen.

Sylvia Havlish is Bereavement Counselor at Lutheran Congregational Services and a member of St. John’s Lutheran, Emmaus, PA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment