Friday, December 9, 2022

Friday, December 9, 2022

They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Isaiah 2:4

We live in a world where the Covid-19 pandemic has affected all of our lives, turning us upside down and inside out. We talk about a “new” normal, but no one really knows what that is. We are confronted as a global community by global warming, countries at war with one another, and countries at war with themselves. Much of our population goes to bed hungry and struggles to live in a safe environment because the threat of a nuclear disaster is ever present, though it may be subliminal. What does all of this have to do with Advent? 

Advent is preparation time for us to take stock of our spiritual lives and find out where we stand with God, neighbor, and self. All of us have swords and spears in our lives; I know that I do in mine. The swords are nonacceptance of those around me as my brothers and sisters created in God’s image and likeness; not taking care of the earth; not giving to the poor or helping out the stranger in my midst; not visiting the lonely or feeding the hungry. The spears are the backbiting that I do either alone or with others; the neglect of those in harm’s way; not giving of myself. 

It is time to turn all of these negatives into plowshares and pruning hooks; that is, to cultivate a more Christian attitude toward my brothers and sisters and let God help me to cut away that which hinders my being a loving and caring person. 

God, please help me to walk in your presence and ready myself for the coming of our Savior. Amen.

Sr. Anne Kelly, a resident of Paul’s Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment