Thursday, December 8, 2022

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. Psalm 124:8

In Psalm 124, David exclaims, “If it had not been the Lord who was on our side…then the flood would have swept us away; the torrent would have gone over us; then over us would have gone the raging waters.” 

Like many who do disaster response work, I got involved in this work following Hurricane Katrina, when I went with my home church, Trinity Lutheran, Lansdale, Pa, as a volunteer to Ocean Springs, Mississippi. 

Within a year I found myself employed in the Lutheran Disaster Response program at Liberty Lutheran Services, tasked with organizing Lutheran congregations and other partners in response to disasters here in Pennsylvania. It has been over 15 years now responding to named storms like Irene, Lee, Sandy, Maria, Isaias, Ida, Fiona, and unnamed storms like the Valentine’s Day ice storm of 2014, the August 2018 floods, and the July 12, 2021 storm. 

It makes me sad that many people have literally been swept away by flood waters. I do not believe it is because God is not on their side as we might conclude from a quick reading of David’s words. Yet, I can’t say that I have any understanding as to why some are swept away and some are not. But I can say that many survivors I’ve met over the years inspire me with their faith. Lemuel Bannister from the Eastwick neighborhood, whose whole first floor was obliterated in Isaias in 2020, reminded me that Jesus is our Way Maker. His faith is strong. He reminded me that there is much that we can do to further God’s Kingdom now, in Jesus’s name, to save people from the torrents and raging waters. We can learn about historic land use injustices, seek legislation to protect the most vulnerable, and work to stop climate change. 

Great Way Maker, remind us all that whatever torrents we face, that you are always our help. Amen. 

Julia Menzo is Director of Lutheran Congregational Services and Lutheran Disaster Response – Eastern PA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment