Thursday, December 15, 2022

Thursday, December 15, 2022

As an example of suffering and patience, brothers and sisters, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. James 5:10

With chaos all around us, this seems like good advice. The effects of global warming make me wonder what the world will be like in thirty years when my granddaughters are grown. And what of the war in Ukraine, division in our country, and COVID, with compounding health complications? 

There is much to be suffered through and we need guidance on how to persevere. OK, be patient, accept that there will always be suffering, poverty, injustice, and uncertainties. Prophets had very helpful things to say about patience in both the Old and New Testaments, but here is what I think… 

We can acknowledge suffering but also use it to motivate us to take action, even in insurmountable odds. The Sanctuary Village board members have been working to build homes for people who are unhoused in Philadelphia for several years now. I’ve been told many times that what we are doing is “very hard”, and “never been done before”, and there are many obstacles to overcome. 

But I believe you have to work for what is just and right every day, no matter how small. We all need to do this, working together to make the world a better place. We must work to relieve suffering, not just tolerate it. In so doing, let us be inspired by the words of a prophet like Isaiah (41:10):
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

God give me the strength today to do your will. Give me quiet so I can hear your voice, and vision to see the steps you want me to take. Grant me the patience to accept my own fears and shortcomings, and the faith to know that you will guide me and bear me forward. Amen. 

Catherine Farrell is a member of Grace Lutheran Church in Hatfield. She is Board President of Sanctuary Village, a non-profit working to build Philadelphia’s first tiny house village as a step toward alleviating homelessness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment