Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thursday, December 1, 2016

For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed, says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
Isaiah 54:10

Sometimes life throws us curves and it feels like everything is changing. I felt that way when I came to live at Artman. My house, most of my possessions, my friends, my health and independence – all of it was changing. It seemed like all my mountains and hills of “normal” life had moved – just like this passage says. Life as I knew it would never be the same. I was tempted to panic – even despair. I felt completely out of place, with no control over what was happening to me.
This verse from Isaiah reminds me that God understands what I feel and what I need most. In the midst of all the changes, God promises that His love will never go away. It is not something of this world which can change in the blink on an eye. Even more, God promises me peace in the midst of turmoil because He has compassion on me. That means that God understands my needs and emotions. Just knowing that promise, God brings me peace. As time goes on, I not only know this promise in my mind, but I have learned to trust God in a new way—in a deeply personal way.

Heavenly Father, help us to trust you in all things. Amen.

Written by an Artman resident with the assistance of The Rev. Linda N Hatcher, Chaplain at Artman.

No comments:

Post a Comment