Thursday, December 15, 2016

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Incline your ear, O my God, and hear. Open your eyes and look at our desolation and the city that bears your name. We do not present our supplication before you on the ground of our righteousness, but on the ground of your great mercies. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, listen and act and do not delay!
Daniel 9:18-19

“Incline your ear, O my God, and hear…” A friend of mine has been on dialysis for years. Despite the rigors of a lifestyle that includes things that many of us would consider major compromises, this person is one of those people who seems to move through life in a worry-free and idealistic way that is unachievable for me. He was raised in a Muslim Sufi home and his life and Facebook posts embody and embrace the infinite, ethereal, and life-
giving nature of God that are reflective of Sufism. So I was surprised when his post a few weeks ago read, “I am SICK and tired of being SICK and tired!!!! RELENTLESS DIALYSIS!!”
Over the next couple of hours and days there was an outpouring of support for my friend, both publicly and privately. He responded the next day by posting, “WOW!!!!! Peace and Love and Blessings to all my family and friends for reaching out to me with care, prayer, and messages of hope! I received tons of positive thoughts, love and encouragement! I am truly blessed for having you all reach out to me crying out! I did not expect this massive response! I feel loved and rejuvenated to fight another day!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!”
Indeed, God hears our cries and offers mercy and consolation.

Dear God, thank you for those who encourage us in fortitude and faithfulness. Thank you for hearing us when we are hurting, and for responding to us in mercy when we cry out! Amen.

Julia Menzo is Volunteer Engagement Coordinator for Liberty Lutheran and Lutheran Disaster Response Coordinator for Lutheran Congregational Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment