Monday, December 12, 2016

Monday, December 12, 2016

These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.
Psalm 42:4-5

In the many years I have served as a bereavement counselor, the question has always been asked by the grief-stricken person sitting in my office: “How could a loving God allow this to happen?” And then, the next statement usually revolves around their guilt—guilt for feeling angry with God, guilt for feeling so depressed and “disquieted.”
Each time this scenario plays out, my mind goes back to the time of my father’s death. I was more than upset, more than “disquieted,” I was at a very low point. After overcoming my fear of admitting how angry and hurt I was with God, I sought out my Pastor, Fred Foerster. I will never forget the way he answered me, the “bereavement” counselor, who was falling apart in his office!
“Sylvia,” he said, “you’ve had a loving relationship with your father for 37 years. I know how much he loved you. So think about it, how much more must your Father in Heaven love you and want to comfort you now? So tonight, why don’t you just ‘crawl up in His arms’ in prayer, and allow him to take over!”
The pastor didn’t mince words, he gave me hope. It took me some quiet time, many more tears and more concentration on my Pastor’s words, but I was able to let go of my bitterness and allow the hope of Christ to come back into my heart. I was able to “again praise him, my help and my God.”



Loving God, remind us at our lowest points that you love us. Gather us into your loving arms of peace and comfort us with your love. Amen.


Sylvia Havlish, MEd., is the Coordinator of Bereavement Ministries at Lutheran Congregational Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment