Friday, December 9, 2016

Friday, December 9, 2016

[Paul writes,] Thus I make it my ambition to proclaim the good news, not where Christ has already been named, so that I do not build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written, “Those who have never been told of him shall see, and those who have never heard of him shall understand.”
Romans 15:20-21

“Life Review” is one of the ways that we look back on the journey of life here at Paul’s Run. For elders in very advanced age there are a lot of years to look back on, and when a resident looks back there are often countless stories of joy and many hard memories as well. Both remind us of the journey and both help us to keep life in perspective.
As they say, “Hindsight is 20/20,” but solutions are not always clear when we are in the midst of distress. Therefore, looking back is one way that we can draw strength for the present. Specific obstacles that were overcome can become powerful sources of confidence. Sometimes, looking back reveals that God was with us all along in ways that we had never imagined.
Finding God’s presence in the past can lead to trusting that very Divine presence in the future. Seeing God in the rearview mirror also helps to ease the mysteries of the day. And, willingness to accept that God was with us, even in ways that we never expected or understood, is a way of anticipating God walking with us each and every day. This is beginning of hope.

O God, you come to places that I never expect and you have carried me in ways I could not have ever imagined; remind me that you are walking with me now even when I do not understand what the future holds. Amen.

The Rev. Stephen Weisser is Chaplain at Paul’s Run Retirement Community.

No comments:

Post a Comment