Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Friday, December 10, 2021

 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. (Isaiah 12:2)

 

In my life, fear has run the gamut, from the anxiety that builds up as I approach boarding a roller coaster to having two sons serving in Iraq, their deployments overlapping each other. These fears are intense, but have an eventual end.

 

I sit with people in Al Anon meetings who share their stories of living with a loved one suffering the disease of addiction, and sometimes there is no end in sight. Years upon years of worry and anxiety and fear. That’s the stuff that destroys souls! And families!

 

The people to whom I listen share their stories of experience, strength and hope, and it seems to me that we surround each other like a buoying life preserver, helping each other in the strength of the Spirit who brought us together. We even find ourselves laughing together at times, like a spoonful of the sweetest medicine. The wisdom in that program directs people to their Higher Power, encouraging them to care for themselves and become a stronger person. Turning to and trusting Our Lord!

 

Take your special gifts of love, listening and laughter, and help someone’s fear subside a bit. Be the messenger, and “Bit by bit the river grows, ‘til all at once it overflows” *

 

I still have fears, but I trust God is sending me the angels I need.

 

Lord God, we will trust in you. Send your Spirit to wash away our fears in times of despair. Give us courage and wisdom to buoy others when they are afraid, to extend to them your love, peace and calmness in the midst of chaos. Amen.

Sue Reier is a retired early childhood educator, a PA Master Naturalist, and member of Saint Paul's Lutheran Church Orwigsburg, and its team leader of Stewardship in Creation.

*lyric from "Joy is Like the Rain” 

No comments:

Post a Comment