Monday, December 6, 2021

Saturday/Sunday, December 4 & 5, 2021

 Lo, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me; and suddenly there will come to the temple the Lord whom you seek, and the messenger of the covenant whom you desire. Yes, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. (Malachi 3:1)

Lo, I will send you Elijah, the prophet, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and terrible day. (Malachi 3:23) 

Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John –“What did you go out to the wasteland to see –a reed swaying in the wind?  Tell me, what did you see –someone luxuriously dressed? Those people are to be found in royal places. Why then did you go out –to see a prophet?  A prophet indeed, and something more! It is about this man that scripture says: ‘I send my messenger ahead of you to prepare your way before you.’ John the Baptist preparing for the coming of Jesus --- just as the prophet Elijah prepared for the coming of Jehovah.”

Today at this moment in history, who are the prophets among us?  Who are the messengers, at this time of hatred, of division, of violence, insurrection? When our leaders cannot work together, recall these words of Jesus, “READ THE SIGNS OF THE TIMES.”

Ask yourself, is God calling me to:

Be a Peacemaker?

Write to my Congressperson?

Listen to what the other is saying?

Take global warming seriously?   

 

O Heavenly Father, we thank you for sending your son, Jesus, and for sending your messenger to prepare the way. Open our hearts and minds to hear the voices of your messengers today, and guide us to do your will. Amen.

Sister Jean Olmstead is a resident at Paul’s Run and a member of the SBS leadership team.

No comments:

Post a Comment