Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Monday, December 13

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

I find both comfort and challenge in this passage. Understanding grows and changes our faith, both to deepen and challenge it, but underlying everything, Christ is our “light and salvation” (Ps. 27).  His message is clear, the core unchangeable and calling us to be His servants, His hands, feet and mind on earth.

My faith journey has been convoluted through doubts and fears as well as comforts and joy.  As in preceding chapters of Hebrews, I too, look to heroes and martyrs for how to grow in faith and serve. 

Closer than Noah or Abel (Hebrews 11), I can find many faith-filled women in my life who have lived out their Christianity quietly: a grandmother who provided food and shelter to immigrants; a wonderful friend who marched for civil rights when she wasn’t teaching in mission schools in Africa; and a small Hungarian nun who gave comfort and dignity to those dying in the streets of Calcutta. 

With the exception of St. Theresa of Calcutta, the other women are unknown to most people, but they provide encouragement to me as I try to live out my faith. I know they all were deeply human and struggled with all the same things that I find difficult. I also know they are all special gifts to me, offering hope, and so I continue to take comfort in the fact that Jesus is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

Help us Lord to be as consistent in our faith as you give us to understand it, and to serve through doubts and challenges holding fast to your son Jesus Christ.

Barbara Devlin is convener of Trinity Lutheran Church, Lansdale’s Racial Justice Ministry.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment