Friday, December 22, 2023

Friday, December 22, 2023

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds.

Hebrews 1:1-2

Every Advent, my spouse and I carefully open the battered East German suitcase that belonged to Opa Robert. We listen to Bach’s Christmas Oratorio and A Charlie Brown Christmas while we carefully unpack our cherished Advent decorations: the simple ‘smoker man’ from our first Christmas together, the straw stars, the antique nut and the scroll that my great-grandmother Hulda hung on her son’s first and only Christmas tree, home-made ornaments made long ago by our children, and finally, the wooden pyramid that we bought with money given to us by Oma Inge even though we really couldn’t afford it at the time.

Each item holds a precious story behind it reminding us of tearful times when we struggled and happy times when life felt simpler. When we uncover these decorations, we remember the voices of our relatives and friends, and we are grateful for the joyful love represented in each treasure.

When I worship God with my congregation and I enter the sanctuary, my eyes are drawn to the wooden cross above the altar and pulpit. This is where God’s love has truly been embodied for us. God speaks to us through the crucified and risen Jesus who continually stretches his arms out in love for the cosmos and beyond.

Every time the presider carefully uncovers the precious bread and wine for holy communion, remember the ways God has been present with you. And when you hear the ancient, mystical words, “The body of Christ given for you. The blood of Christ shed for you,” remember: this is God’s beautiful, tangible way of speaking, “I love you.”

God of all times and places, during this season that brings many memories, help me to remember that you look at me with eyes full of love. Give me the grace to share that love with each person I encounter. Amen.

Deacon Deborah Graf serves as Deacon at Trinity Lutheran, Reading, and as District Coordinator for West Berks Mission District.

No comments:

Post a Comment