Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

On that day, says the Lord, I will assemble the lame and gather those who have been driven away and those whom I have afflicted. The lame I will make the remnant, and those who were cast off, a strong nation, and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zion now and forevermore.

Micah 4:6-7

We are all broken and lame in some area of our life. In my life, I have had diminished vision for a year. I also have a bunion that makes my foot turn outward and a problem with my back, both of which challenge my ability to walk well or for longer periods of time. All these challenges in my life make walking and reading sometimes difficult. They have tested my faith and made me (an extrovert) become withdrawn.

At times we all experience brokenness and difficulty on our journey of faith. Our Bible verse tells us that some have been driven away. But God can make even a remnant of what we were into something strong and viable. God can and does transform us from the broken people we are into his beloved children, who were called in our baptism to serve a world in need.

Even when we daily falter and follow our human and sinful frailties and weaknesses, God can and does transform the remnant which we have become into a whole new garment and person. God may transform us into stronger people through other people. People who listen, support and give us strength to see a new way forward.

Despite our sinfulness, God in Jesus is still open to reigning over us, of being our God. Jesus turns toward us and our need of him even when we don’t know it. God knows it. Jesus knows our need of him. Now and forevermore, God is here for us, calling us to him.

Let us pray. O God, as we wait for the birth of your Son, open our eyes, ears, and minds to the areas of our lives which we need to let go of, so that we may become wholly yours. Help us to be there for others who may need us to listen, support and help them to see a different perspective, your perspective so that we may all become strong in you. Come, Holy Spirit, come. Amen.

Deacon Jane Elliott is retired, though currently serving as Interim Director of Faith Formation at Trinity Lutheran Church, Lansdale, PA. She has served in various Lutheran congregations and on SEPA Synod staff.


No comments:

Post a Comment