Thursday, December 21, 2023

Thursday, December 21, 2023

Hear O Lord and answer me…Guard my life for I am devoted to you. Have Mercy on me, O Lord for I call to you all day long.

Psalm 86:1-3

I was in the National Guard and in a deuce and a half (large tactical cargo truck) with eight men in the back and a 105 howitzer. I was in front with the driver. I was a staff sergeant with my squad heading home from my summer training program with the 166 field artillery in the Pennsylvania 28th division. We were on a narrow road with trees on one side and steep cliff on the other. It had just begun to rain.

We hit a bump and the gun on the back started shifting and we lost control of our truck while the driver yelled, “I can’t get control!” It looked like we were going off the road and the cliff as the driver yelled, “We’re going over!”

I thought about these men sitting in the back with nothing to hold on to as I closed my eyes and said “Dear God here we come!” When I opened my eyes, the gun pushed us 180 degrees and put us on the shoulder facing the opposite way, our gun was gone but we were alive!

It was a miracle.

I think about this story and how in times of duress we yell for God and cling to God for hope in those moments where we need God. But do we call to God when things are easy? Not as much. During this time may we reflect on why we need God and the reason for the season. This season, may we seek God even when we don’t think we need him urgently, and of course also when we do.

Dear God, Keep us safe during this season and may we lean on you in times of trouble and in times when the going is easy. Bless us always, Amen. 

Arnold Escourt is a resident at Paul’s Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment