Sunday, December 3, 2023

Sunday, December 3, 2023

O sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth. Sing to the Lord; bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples. Psalm 96: 1-3

Today as I reflect on this verse, I am struck by the realization that singing is not just the act of creating musical sound with your voice.

To me, singing is opening my heart and putting myself out there. Singing is being open to vulnerability. Singing is being on display a bit and that is a place of risk. When we do that, others will observe it. That can be so scary.

When we truly sing to the Lord, I think we are also strengthened and protected. When we sing in such a way that we are there one with the Lord it is no longer about how we sound. It is all about the Lord.

How do you sing to the Lord?

I think that there are many ways to “sing to the Lord” in our actions. Opening our hearts and putting ourselves out there. Being open to vulnerability. Being on display a bit and in a place of risk.

If we do something for the Lord in action and deed isn’t that Singing to the Lord? Some of us may not enjoy making music with our voice but we can still sing to the Lord.

Sing to the Lord by helping those in need.

Sing to the Lord by giving a listen to someone’s struggles.

Sing to the Lord by repairing a fence between neighbors (either kind).

Sing to the Lord by…

How do you sing to the Lord?

Dear Lord, today I sing to you. I sing with my heart, I sing with my voice, I sing with my actions. Open my heart to sing loudly. Open my heart to sing joyfully. Open my heart to sing you praise with all that I do. With this I ask you to walk with me, walk with me in all I say and do, and I pray that I do it with song and celebrate you in that way. Amen.

Denise F. Shelton is Disaster Recovery Director - Eastern PA Conference of the United Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment